Solar filter = the only thing needed for Sun observations?

Hi guys! Night skies are really disappointing recently and I thought it would be nice to observe the Sun for the first time. I have a Go-To and a DSLR attached and was taking pictures of the night sky but I was wondering if the solar filter is the only thing one needs to observe the Sun and take pictures of it (or do you need special eyepieces, for example)? So, do I just buy one of those Baader Planetarium AstroSolar™ Safety Film solar filters, cut it and make a cover for my 'scope and there I go, or are there any other things I need to buy?

:)

(Note, I am aware of dangers related with Sun observations and know that you must cover the finder and do not attempt to leave the optics uncovered and exposed to direct sunlight.)

single dslr frmae through 8 inch newt. pretty much exactly the same view as you get visually.

just put on the filter and use the ep's as you normally would.

EDIT * with this filter http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html apparently the continuum one gives a green tint.

post-25906-133877648026_thumb.jpg

Archived