Sun in Ha - 13 august

smerral

I'm getting to grips with the PST now. Today was a lovely day and a good chance to grab some shots. The wider field images were captured with the PST and a Philips b/w spc900 with a barlow lens screwed into the adapter. Close ups of the prominences were done with the Tal x3 barlow. All were around 200 frames stacked in Registax, captured at 10fps.

surface1.jpg

surface2.jpg

surface3.jpg

surface4.jpg

prom-tal-3.jpg

prom-surface.jpg

prom-tal-1-flip.jpg

Great images. I go on holiday in September, and shall have the use of a PST which I am really quite excited about (as long as there is some sun!).

When you say "with the PST and a Philips b/w spc900 with a barlow lens screwed into the adapter" .... what do you mean exactly? Do you mean dismantling a barlow and putting the lens ..., where exactly? Sorry if this sounds a bit noobish, but I'd like to try getting some Ha images myself and I'm just trying to get my head around what I shall need to do.

I have a Tal 3x barlow.

Lovely selection of images, I must admit that putting in the Earth for scale is a great way of presenting the image and really drives home how big some of these proms are.

Nice one.

Ant

Thanks very much for your comments...I'm loving the PST - it is a great scope for the money and I think it's one of the best purchases I've made. As to your question Andy, the problem with the PST when used for imaging is that there is not enough inward focus for most webcams when placed directly in the eyepiece holder. One solution is to re-box the webcam so that you can bring the chip to the focal point. Otherwise you need to use a barlow lens. What I have done is unscrew the lens from a Skywatcher x2 barlow and screw this onto the webcam adapter, the same as you do with a filter. By doing this I get a slightly larger field of view than I would if I were to use the barlow in the normal way. The Tal x3 is used as normal and as you can see works brilliantly with the PST.:smiley:

Awesome set of images and I especially like how you've put in the earth to give some idea of the scale. It really shows how massive some of the solar activity is - quite humbling really.:smiley:

Fantastic images, tell me were they taken with the entry level PST ? I am thinking about getting one and if they were taken with the standard one , I'll be ordering one tomorrow

Yes Mark - these were taken with the standard PST with no additions. Bear in mind that you really need a b/w chip camera to get the resolution...

Archived