NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another Astrophotography Question

I just posted recently about using the OMNI CG-4 mount for astrophotography. The general consensus is to go for the cg-5 and an 80ED refractor. The main reasoning as to why the CG-4 wouldnt work is because it has a 20lb weight limit and you the recommendation is to be half-weight, i.e. 10lbs on the 20lb.

My question is this: Would the OMNI CG-4 mount work good for astrophotography if I equipped it with the dual-axis drive from celestron, modded it to take an autoguide port, and used the 80ED from Orion? The 80ED is 6lbs, a guidescope and autoguider is ~2-4lbs depending on the guidescope, and my camera is 1lb. This puts me at 9-11lbs.

Since the weight is so low would it still be a feasible mount for astrophotography?

Thanks again!

It's a fair outlay to tart up a smaller mount that way but it could work reasonably. I think it's more cost effective to sell the CG-4 and put some cash in towards a s/h CG-5 (they're only circa £110 for one in great nick).

You can add brand new motors for about another £95 - and if you like tinkering by all means mod in a guide port - it's been done quite effectively by "leenewtoastro" - or a s/h fully equipped CG5GT Goto is around £300-£350 s/h. Much more sturdy and highly functional.

All my humble opinion of course cos I've been the route you suggest and wished I'd just gone straight for the CG5GT in the first place lol :smiley:

I just posted recently about using the OMNI CG-4 mount for astrophotography. The general consensus is to go for the cg-5 and an 80ED refractor. The main reasoning as to why the CG-4 wouldnt work is because it has a 20lb weight limit and you the recommendation is to be half-weight, i.e. 10lbs on the 20lb.

My question is this: Would the OMNI CG-4 mount work good for astrophotography if I equipped it with the dual-axis drive from celestron, modded it to take an autoguide port, and used the 80ED from Orion? The 80ED is 6lbs, a guidescope and autoguider is ~2-4lbs depending on the guidescope, and my camera is 1lb. This puts me at 9-11lbs.

Since the weight is so low would it still be a feasible mount for astrophotography?

Thanks again!

The CG4 mount is the same mount as the Skywatcher EQ3-2/Orion Astroview so will have a similar payload capacity (12lbs). You will need a CG5-GT/EQ5 Synscan/Skyview Pro as a minimum or HEQ5Pro/Orion Sirius EQ G or better.

Peter

Archived