Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to Astrophotography

cap603

I have just acquired a Canon EOS T2i DSLR and would like to mate it to my Orion XT8 Dob. Hoping to do some solar shots and possible the brighter planets, etc, as no tracking is available - obviously.

Could someone please advise on the best piece of equipment to accomplish that goal?

Many thanks

You will need a couple of adapters, maybe just one depending on your telescopes focuser.

You will need a T-ring adapter like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html they are specific to your camera so make sure you pick up the right one. This attaches to your camera in place of the lens. It’s threaded on one side allowing you to connect it to another adapter or directly to your telescope.

The Skywatcher 150p I have has a removable part on the focus tube and allows a direct connection using only the adapter above, this isn’t always the case though so you may also need something like this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-125-inch-t-mount-camera-adapter.html

You just screw this into the thread on the T-ring allowing you to simply slide it into the focus tube as you would with an eyepiece.

I use my 12" Dob for unguided DSLR imaging from time to time, works well. I bought the afocal camera adapter from Orion, easy to use but you only get native FL shots, but with a big Dob, gives you close to a full frame moon.

More frequently, I use a T-ring and adapter as Dann suggests. You have the option of adding a barlow in the train, and get closer shots of the moon. I do planets like this too, but they are still fairly small in such a setup. I also purchased a eyepiece projection setup (used to be Scopetronix, now at telescopeadapters.com in US)...this works very well, I can use my high power Pentax and get some really sharp shots. With all, seeing and turbulance are the limiting factors, but I take as many as I can, as fast as I can, and stack them. Get some decent shots that way.

Lots of options....experiment, that's the key!

Joe

Archived