Solar mosaic and proms 090811

Photosbykev

awesome pictures :smiley: at the moment i only have a baader solar filter which gives me smooth white images with a couple of sunspots - if i wanted to get an image like yours, do i just need to put on a H-a filter? how/where does it go in relation to the scope etc?

thanks, tom

awesome pictures :smiley: at the moment i only have a baader solar filter which gives me smooth white images with a couple of sunspots - if i wanted to get an image like yours, do i just need to put on a H-a filter? how/where does it go in relation to the scope etc?

thanks, tom

Thanks for the comment. TBH I'm uncertain about the minimum requirements for H-a photography so I'll wait for someone that does to come along :)

No Chemtom I'm afraid an ordinary Ha filter won't work at all (it allows far too wide a bandwidth to pass). As a minimum you will need a PST (Personal Solar Telescope) at around £450 new. Prices rise rapidly from there to several thousand pounds for a true Ha filter of maybe 70-90mm diameter.

Archived