Instructions on EQ3-2?

Hello all,

I'm new here, and I figured I'd come and see if anyone could help me.

I'm very new to Astronomy, and I just recently bought my very first telescope. (Infact, it arrived in the mail today! YAY!)

After some low impact headaches in putting the mount, and telescope together, I think I finally got it done.

Its now time for me to put the motor parts together and I frankly, have no clue how. I've been looking at the diagrams on the instruction manual (I decided to use this one online, http://www.saxon.com.au/pdf/EQ3-2Dual.pdf ) and to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how or where to start.

The parts I have are these,

SWEQ3Upgrade.jpg

If theres some sort of guide which gives me a basic idea or if any of you guys/girls know how to do this, It'd be much appreciated.

Also, the telescope I have, is the Saxon 1021 EQ3 - 100mm.

The diagram instructions...are confusing. (Puzzles make me go BOOOM!)

Thanks a bunch!

-HC!!

The two motors will fit on the output shafts of the RA and DEC axis. It looks like the motor in the housing fits the DEC axis whilst the bare motor fits on the RA shaft, this is then covered with the housing with the two DIN sockets on. The Handset with the buttons on plugs into the SynScan unit via the coiled cable. Using one of the DIN leads connect the synScan unit to the RA in socket, and then the other DIN lead between the DEC out socket and the DIN socket on the DEC motor. The grey lead top left of the image is a serial cable for hooking up a PC and need not worry you just jet. The other lead below is the power lead to connect to a 12v car battery. If you want to drive the mount from mains, you need a power supply that can provide 12v at 2 amps.

Hopes that helps

Hi Hadescomet,

I've been lurking here for a few years but just signed up to help you out.

As it happens I installed my EQ3-2 drives yesterday so recognised your image of bits. I must say I wasn't too impressed with the install manual which misses out the motor's completely - I was like you a little lost.

I stumbled across this site which helped alot (although still a little guess work required) Arne's Blog: Installation of the EQ3 SynScan Upgrade

If you still aren't sure let me know and I'll do my best to reverse engineer.

Just in case anyone is interested I installed the EQ3-2 synscan upgrade on my CG-4 mount and it works a treat. Got it hooked up to Stellarium this evening with a remote cable from Astronomiser and well chuffed with it.

Be methodical about identifying each component and follow the instructions in Arne's Blog post. When you install the cap over the RA gearing I found the looped cables sat best at the bottom (nr the ground), otherwise the capping doesn't quite fit flush.

Took me about 30mins to get going and wasn't as hard as I had thought originally so don't be scared :)

Thanks for the information.

That does help a little Malc, but still a bit way out of my level of expertise. But thank you!

That manual looks WAY MOOOREE informative then the one I got with my scope. I didn't even get that! Thanks Varley!

Cheers Astrosphinx. I just had a bit of a gander through my new scope without the Syn parts put on. My god I think it'll be wise for me to join a Society because I have no idea how to get the planets closer and more clear. I got a bright white dot pretty clear but I want to see it closer :) Like Jupiter or something :headbang:

Thanks for the help guys/girls :)

-HC

It's good. Looks pretty exact like the mount i have.

I have Premium quality Plossl eyepiece set, Plossl 25mm, Plossl 10mm & Plossl 6.5mm. Also a collimation eyepiece.

Does it matter which eyepiece I use? I tried using the 25mm and the 6.5 last night.

I managed to fixate on a (what appeared to be a planet) and it was a bright dot. After adjusting the scope a bit I got the dot to turn into a very blurred up ball. Just wondering if thats right? Or should I change eyepieces/experiment a little.

Theres a public night thing at an observatory near my house this friday, so i'm going to go down there and get some advice/a bit of hands on show and tell which should help too. Confusing at first.

Archived