Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter image constructive criticism welcome

Constructive criticism requested of Jupiter image taken last week.

BCF 75mm “Elliot” telescope fl 1200mm, completely unguided except moving by hand to “centre image” on computer screen.

Used unmodified spc880 webcam and (if I remember correctly) a 2x barlow. Webcam attached by RAS thread adaptor in place of the telescope’s integral terrestrial inverter and eyepiece.

Computer recognises webcam as:- "Philips PCVC750k camera, video"

Apart from the white light setting all webcam software settings were “manual”.

Frame rate 10 fps, frame exposure 1/25th s

Captured using "Astra Image Webcam Video Grabber v1.0" on Microsoft Vista

Images taken through double glazed windows – I know, I know, but .......

Nine runs totalling 9m 51s (min 19s max 2m 32s). File sizes between 44 and 343mb.

Processed using the automatic option through Registax 5.1 using CofG alignment, resulting in 267 images being optimized out of 5912 processed.

(I tried using the Registax 6 but the multiple avi files would not load.)

Further processed using Adobe Photoshop Elements v7.0 with "smartcurve" plug-in.

Thank you

Tony Owen

regi5imagepse01.tif

Hi

Thanks for sharing your photo.

You have managed to get some banding however looks very much out of focus and there is a very strange green halo.

I can only assume that this is an artefact of the double glazing.

Exposure look good - not burnt out.

All I can suggest us to try again outside without the double glazing and all the hot air currents interfering with your picture.

Try focusing on a bright star then move to Jupiter - if you can use a focusing aid such as a Bahitov (sp?) mask or a simple Y mask. It's much easier to focus on a star than a

Planet.

What are you using to capture the video - Sharpcap has some nice features.

Hope this helps

Paul

Archived