NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

200mm Chinese Mak - how good is it?

A French dealer is listing a 200mm f12 Mak from the Chinese maker Bosma at an introductory price of 1875 euros for the OTA. Has anyone ever used one? I can't find any reviews, but I believe Bosma makes its own OTAs and is not just another Synta outlet. The April issue of Ciel et Espace magazine has a long review praising the optics and finish of a Bosma 150mm f12 Mak (OTA 675 euros).

Yep, Bosma are the manufacturer, Teleskop Service in Germany sell the 150mm so I guess it must be at least 'OK'. Phil Dyer used to sell this range under the "Eclipse" name a whiile back, he was taking pre-orders for the 200mm but I don't know if any ever reached him or not.

I used to own the 150 under the Eclipse brand name. It wasn't a bad scope. Build quality, paint, fittings etc were all superior to the Skywatcher Skymax 150. Image shift was pretty good on the one I had. Optically it seemed okay but I never used it enough to say for sure and at the time I had no others scopes to compare. Viewed Jupiter a few times but Jupiter was so badly placed it was hardly a fair test.

Russ

Archived