Problem seeing through a 32mm eyepiece

Hi folks,

I was wondering if any of you encountered a similar problem to mine. I have a pack of Celestron eyepieces (4mm, 6mm, 10mm, 20mm and 32mm) and I can see perfectly well through all of them expect using the 32mm one. I was trying to cath a glimpse of Gamma Sagittae and the M27, which I actually managed to find with help from a friend. I tested on other objects later, and the effect is the same. If I can see anything at all it's really dim and not clear whereas and I can't see it longer than a second or two, after that it disappears. My brother for example can see them perfectly fine (for example the Moon). When I switch to 20mm there are no problems. What could cause this? I know it sounds stupid but I don't know what I'm doing wrong... My vision is fine as I recently checked it.

32mm eyepieces have quite long eye relief - the distance your eye needs to be from the top lens to see the whole field of view. Often you need to "hover" your eye 10mm or so above the rubber eye cup, which takes some practice. If you push your eye against the eye cup it will be too close which will cause a number of issues including kidney beaning and blackouts which is what you might be getting.

All it takes is a bit of practice and some folks get it quicker than others.

Archived