Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Video of ISS transiting the Sun

carldr

Hi guys,

I've been very lucky in the past week. I had an ISS transit of the Sun (with Atlantis) visible from my parent's house, and this morning, I had an ISS transit visible from my own house.

This time, I wanted to capture a video of the event to demonstrate how fleeting these things are. The transit was a lengthy 1.1s! The attached image is a single frame from the video.

The video can be viewed on YouTube :

The quality is pretty poor. It was the first time I was using the camera, and it was crashing every couple of minutes. It actually crashed about 30 seconds before the transit, and fortunately I managed to recover from it just before the transit happened. I trimmed a number of seconds off the end of the video, but from the start to the transit is unedited - If I'd taken a couple of seconds longer I'd have missed it!

I was battling cloud too, I literally had about 3 minutes of Sun, during which the transit happened. Subsequently, I didn't have chance to fine tune the focus, or alter the gain and exposure settings to the optimal settings.

The video was taken with an OpticStar PL-131M and a PST at prime focus.

Regards,

Carl.

post-21491-133877637284_thumb.png

Archived