Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP short comings

So John, anywhere you feel that the Ethos are weak vs anything else you have compared them to?

They seem to give an excellent view to me, but I have nothing to really compare them to. Just wondering where their weaknesses may be.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ethos / Ethoi / Ethe (not sure what the plural is) are the best eyepieces I've used in my 30+ years in the hobby. If I was to move to another type I think it would be the Pentax XW's which are also wonderful, are less expensive than the Ethos range, have a bit more eye relief and are less bulky. Less field of view though as well.

Only my opinion though and you will see from the various eyepiece threads on here that there are many other opinions on eyepieces which should be taken account of as well.

Nothing like trying to get to a club night or star party and trying some different ones out for yourself - eyepieces "tastes" are quite a personal thing ;)

......getting to try EP's out at group sessions is dangerous - that is how I started down the road to owning a small collection of Ethos & TV stuff in general!!!

......Next opportunity I get, I'll ask around to see if anyone has an Ortho I can take a peek through - just to satisfy my curiosity.

It's worth remembering that the Ethos was designed to be the epitome of everything a wide-angle eyepiece can be. So if you want to compare an Ethos with an Ortho for theoretical rather than practical reasons, perhaps a fairer comparison might be to compare an Ethos with an Zeiss Abbe Ortho II - since those are designed to be the epitome of everything an Ortho can be?

Just a thought anyway... ;)

Archived