NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG5 mount

wackyscot

Just some (probably silly) questions about the above mount. I have noticed that each mount has a weight capacity. Does this capacity include the counterweights or is the capacity the measurement loaded on the dovetail. I think my C8NGT is probably exceeding weight limits.

Also what is the recommended limit for this mount??? I have attached a piccy for your comments, please be gentle lol.

Thirdly, is it necessary to remove weights while scope is not in use, I got the astro developements upgrade bolts and one of them bent, I wondered if the extra weights (over a prolonged time) pushing on the ratcheted screw caused this

Hope you can help

David

post-26589-133877636789_thumb.jpg

David,

The CG5 has a 35lbs weights capacity. I have a C6 on a CG5, and with a small guidescope, camera, and counterweights I feel it is at its limit. The problem is that the C8 and C10 sold with the CG5 are already pushing the mounts capabilities. This works for the visual observer. Once you start adding guidescopes, cameras, and counterweights your beyond the weight limit. I bought a 50mm guidescope, which is the size of the finderscope, so I wouldnt go beyond the weight limit, and that is for a C6! If you read about mounts on SGL, most people will tell you to stay well below your mount's weight capacity for the best results. If the mount holds 35lbs, go for 25lbs. That is a main reason people always recommend spending the extra money on a better mount. Sadly, Celestron is a business and although the CG5 can hold 35lbs, it doesnt mean it wont struggle. The only thing I can recommend is getting a smaller guidescope. I have a 50mm Orion and it is very small and works very well. Good luck.

Thanks for that Johnnyd333, does the 35lbs limit mean what you put on the dovetail??

A new mount will have to wait, money is thin on the ground just now lol, but may consider doin a swap for a smaller guidecope. I may test the water on here!!

David

Yes it includes the dovetail and counterweight. I have a similar issue, I want an 8" scope but I dont want to push the mount too much and I dont have the money for a new mount. I decided to do as much as I can with what I have. But I do highly recommend the Orion Guidescope, its honestly the same size as your finderscope and fits in the bracket perfectly, no big scope or rings. It should cut the weight down. Here is a link Orion Telescopes: Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider Package

If you have a guider you can just buy the 50mm scope on its own.

Archived