Help needed with new telescope & mount

Hi,

I have just got an Altair Astro Imaging F4 scope & HEQ5 mount....just tried setting it all up but cant seem to attach the scope to the mount? Any ideas....holes are in the wrong place it seems on the dovetail...hmmmm...

:)

May be an idea to post pix of your dilemma. Easier to work out whats wrong.

Have you attached tube rings to the OTA or, does the dovetail fasten directly.

Sounds daft, but have you tried turning the dovetail around.

Eddie

yeah the scope has rings but not sure if they are compatible with the dovetail that came with the mount......the dove tail has x4 screw /bolts - 1 in each corner....these are too small for the rings on the scope though....do I need a different dovetail?

Hi Jim,

I too have a new HEQ5 mount and had exactly the same problem. The instructions are very poor on this point. The solution is simple though. You have to unscrew the two black-headed bolts on the top part of the mount to leave enough room for the dovetail to settle between the two bolts. You should then not have any problem. I knocked most of the paint off the dovetail :BangHead: before I worked this out. The instructions do mention this but only in passing and far too late in the day. My big problem is the polar alignment, I am dreading that but it has not be clear since I got the scope and mount. ;) Great mount though!

Peter

Hi Jim,

I too have a new HEQ5 mount and had exactly the same problem. The instructions are very poor on this point. The solution is simple though. You have to unscrew the two black-headed bolts on the top part of the mount to leave enough room for the dovetail to settle between the two bolts. You should then not have any problem. I knocked most of the paint off the dovetail :) before I worked this out. The instructions do mention this but only in passing and far too late in the day. My big problem is the polar alignment, I am dreading that but it has not be clear since I got the scope and mount. :) Great mount though!

Peter

Hey check this guide out - excellent: Astro Babys HEQ5 Polar Alignment

:eek:

Archived