Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which camera

astroeddie

Guys,

Got myself a dilema, ok a good one.

I've been given the green light for either........

Image source camera, First Light Optics - DMK 41AU02.AS Mono

Atik camera, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-titan-dual-purpose-ccd-camera.html

I'm actually debating whether to get one of these cameras or a 6"f8 Refrac, modded with a Moonlite focuser and extras. But won't have a mount for quite a while :)

Is the image source capable of capturing DSO's, I 've seen its quality as a planetary camera.?

Is the Titan any good as a planetary camera, I've seen what it can do on DSO's.

These will be used on my tracker Dob, so LONG exposures will not be possible. Mainly solar system, and brighter DSO's. So really which is the better all rounder I suppose.

Does any one have any info on these cameras ?

Many thanks.

Have you followed FLO's link to the mini review by Geppetto on here? I'd certainly do so if I were you. It is very convincing on the deep sky side.

Both cameras do 15 FPS so there is nothing to choose there.

The DMK has a significantly larger chip.

The Atik is cooled, very important for long exposure when, if, you get a tracking mount.

The Atik is 16 bit, the DMK 8 bit, giving the Atik more ability to distinguish subtle changes in brightness.

The Atik software is comprehensive deep sky aquisition stuff, the DMK coming with simple video capture.

In a nutshell the only advantage of the DMK is the larger chip so far as I can see. However, fast frame cameras are a sideline for me and I'm no expert so I might be missing something. I use a DMK21 on the sun and love it. Both are well made with a small edge, maybe, going to the DMK since it is an industrial device but I have five Atiks in professional use and they have been extremely reliable. Atik provide great service.

Geppetto said that the 16ic was matched on deep sky by the Titan so for a good idea of what is possible check out John Punnett's work with the former. John does know what he's doing and these images were taken with a little ZS66. That makes for a modest setup but look at the quality. If ever you upgrade, the camera makes the king of autoguiders. I have two 16ics for this purpose and they are little demons!

Astrophotography by John Punnett

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/

Cheers Olly,

I did read those posts following links on FLO.

Think its gonna be the DMK 21 mono. Really my scope is not suited for long exposures, as its only an az/alt tracker.

Cheers for the input, much appreciated

Archived