NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Low, Medium and Highpower

Hello,

I have a Skywatcher 127 MAK which has a focal length of 1500mm

Assuming I need a LOW, MEDIUM AND HI power eyepieces

Can you recommend the right eyepiece size in MM

I have already taken the plunge and bought a 10mm so I have a magnification of x150 taken care of, so what should I get next?

Also, I'm, looking at TAL Barlows as the skywatcher one is useless so should I go for a x 2 or x 3

I'll hoping to focus on Planetary and Lunar but would like to have some flexibility to look for Messier and DSO when I get in Very Dark Skies....

thanks in advance

Scott

Personally I reckon 4 "powers" would be useful (all can be + / - a mm or two):

32mm = 47x

17mm = 88x

10mm = 150x

7mm = 214x

A 2x barlow could help reduce the number of eyepieces although a good barlow costs as much as a decent eyepiece. I don't think you will use a 3x balow with an 1500mm focal length scope of 127mm aperture.

Thats just my suggestion - others will follow no doubt !.

32, 16, and 9mm would be my choice for a set of three. But John's suggested set of four would be just right.

I tend to use 40, 15 and 8.8mm but my eyepieces predate the scope and are just the closest I happen to have.

Personally I reckon 4 "powers" would be useful (all can be + / - a mm or two):

32mm = 47x

17mm = 88x

10mm = 150x

7mm = 214x

A 2x barlow could help reduce the number of eyepieces although a good barlow costs as much as a decent eyepiece. I don't think you will use a 3x balow with an 1500mm focal length scope of 127mm aperture.

Thats just my suggestion - others will follow no doubt !.

thanks for the information, but am I really going to get away with a 7mm (x 214) in the UK?

Archived