newb: Naked Eye StarGazing?

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but:

I want to start getting into stargazing, however I know NOTHING about the night sky. I might be able to pick out the Moon on a good day :) Okay not that bad, but the big dipper is about all i can spot. I'd like to learn the major constellations and planets that may be visible with the naked eye before I invest any money, to make sure I stick with it and that it's something I want to pursue before investing in.

So what can you all recommend that I start with? As far as books/charts go? What's a good starting resource? Most of what I've seen is geared towards telescopes.

If it matters i'm in the US along the east coast, Rhode Island and Virginia.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is a freeware planetarium programme called Stellarium which is very popular and will show you what is "up" at any time or place. Here is a link to it:

Stellarium

Otherwise a good introduction to the night sky such as "Turn Left at Orion" would be a great idea. You can see quite a lot of stuff without a scope / binoculars if you can get under dark skies and have a guide on where to look.

Get yourself a planisphere and a red light torch. The planisphere will show you what is in the sky on any night of the year for your location and you will easily learn the constellations. When I started out like you I could pick out the Big Dipper but that was about all but I soon learnt many more. A pair of binoculars is also pretty useful you don't have to spend $$$ on large or expensive ones and many people have a pair in their homes already that will do just fine. A good book to read is Nightwatch it gives you a lot of info on astronomy, the night sky and also has some great star charts, check it out on amazon.com and read the reviews.

Archived