Lunar imaging query

I had a thought, a naive one I will bet you, but a thought nevertheless.

Everything I've read so far says that the best kit to use for lunar and planetary images are a webcam and stacking software combo.

Would stacking software in combination with a dslr work using continuous shooting so you rack up loads of images do the job?

I dont see why it wouldnt but if you have a dslr then why would you need to use continuous shooting? just take individual exposures and stack them

Yes. I have done a few images this way. They weren't very good, but that was down to me rather than the method. Registax will work with a bunch of still frames as well as avi's.

Here is a white light solar pic done with a 1000D on a 150P. I think I took about 30 or so 1/800sec pics and ran them through Registax.

Edit: these were individual frames captured using APT, not continuous shooting.

post-18573-133877629394_thumb.jpg

I was never able to get registax or other software to stack my SLR images. So I don't bother, just shoot a single frame with the SLR. You should find the moon will just about fit in the frame of your SLR on the Skymax 127, don't try Solar unless you have the correct filters, you will damage, your scope, camera and eye.

don't try Solar unless you have the correct filters, you will damage, your scope, camera and eye.

Sorry for not making that clear in my post ;)

I used a 70mm off axis Baader Astro-Solar film filter on the objective end of my 150P :)

I was never able to get registax or other software to stack my SLR images. So I don't bother, just shoot a single frame with the SLR. You should find the moon will just about fit in the frame of your SLR on the Skymax 127, don't try Solar unless you have the correct filters, you will damage, your scope, camera and eye.

Using the slr would it be possible to bracket the exposures, 2-5-7 frames, and drop them into Photomatix.

Just a thought.May need a well defined terminator.

You probably could, but there really isn't any need...

I've got lots of examples, but..

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/145092-first-quarter-moon-lunar-x-just.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/144930-experimental-daylight-moon.html

A webcam/high frame rate camera, making a mosaic will produce a much more detailed image, as the frames are helping you overcome seeing and the combine process really helps too. But with an SLR, I'm not sure there's a lot of benefit to be had. I always check the image at 100% size to check on the detail sharpness, and it's normally pretty good.

Thanks for all the advice fellas!

btw when I mentioned continuous shooting I meant taking a series of photos rather than shooting video on the dslr.

I'm not sure of the correct terminology but I can hold down the shutter release button and the camera will keep taking photos until I release the button. I then figured I could stack these in some software and it'd be similar if not better than a webcam capture

Archived