Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Acceptable numbers of dead pixels?

NickK

I've been looking closely at my 383's dead pixels.. there's quite a few but there's also a vertical line of about 1000 pixels long from a dead pixel that appears if you DDP the image.

deadline.png

Sorry for the large size but it's the only way to see what I mean as it appears nicely in the screen shot.

Does this seem about normal? I know the CCD is not a zero-defect class but I'm just looking for a reference point. My old 16ic had a grand total of about two dead pixels that appeared in stacking.

Hello, Nick,

I have the SBIG version and also have a similar output.

The vertical line is an artefact of the one hot pixel you see at the top of he line. My camera developed one after about 6 months.

I spoke to SBIG in California and they do not see this as a fault, more a "feature" of working with raw images.

As my artefact occurred after some time, I was concerned that I had done something - powering off before warming up the sensor, or something, but SBIG said they have not been able to assign a cause - just one of those things and within normal expectations.

I have programmed the imaging to take a dark frame every 8 and I subtract as I go. PixInsight completes the task and there is no sign of he problem when finished.

Hope this helps.

Gordon.

Archived