Order placed at last.............

Finally I have placed my order for SW Evostar 120mm & money spare for some accessories. Big thanks go to James @ FLO for all his information & pointers.

Looking forward to receiving & start enjoying astronomy! :)

Andy

Keano, many thanks! I noticed in your signature yoiu have celestron xcel EP's. Do they outperform SW supper plossl?

I'd be interest as to what you have been able to observe with the Evo

Ive only used the celestron x-cels so I cant really compare them to the sw plossl's, I was originally going for the sw plossl myself but the lack of eye relief put me off (im a gogglepops:D).I can only say how pleased i am with the x-cels compared to the basic 10/25mm ep's that came with the scope, the good folks on sgl told me it was the differance between night and day,they were right, theres a considerable differance in build quality and optical perfomance (im a complete novice so take that with a pinch of salt though), I thought the views were much clearer,sharper, and with the extra eye relief very comfortable to use). I did find that the 5mm celestron was a bit picky about where you put your eye, but apart from that I think there great.:) Ive just recieved a 7mm tmb design from skys the limit which for the price seems a very good ep as well.

Maybe if you dont wear glass's it might be worth trying the sw plossl's, £20 for an ep is a bargain if they turn out to be decent.

Havnt really got to use my scope that much due to early starts in work and lots of cloud but the second time out I managed to catch saturn and its moons (fantastic:D) not very big just using the 10mm x-cel but very clear and sharp (suprisingly good considering it wasnt fully dark and there was some cloud about), just waiting to try the 7mm tmb and the ultima barlow.

Keano, no worries and thanks for the comments. Yesterday was a recovery day myself after going to see Foo Fighters at MK Bowl with 65,000 people on Sinday night....

Hey jandy100 - great to here about the Evo120 - it's been at the top of my list of scopes to buy but I bought a Skymax 150 instead.

Still, I want one of these. What mount have you got to go with it?

Be interested to here a report on when u get to use it

Steve,

I bought it with the EQ5 mount. When funds allow next month I will purchase a drive for it. Received 2 large boxes yesterday evening from Fedex, and have to compliment just how professionally & secure the packaging was (internal & externally).

Having worked in the logistics industry for 20 odd years I am fully aware how couriers treart packages despite there being "fragile labels" stuck on the outer cartons. The cartons were in excellent condition, and only had time to unpack and check over the equipment last night, and all looks fine.

Weather in the UK is dismal for the rest of this week so I think an afternoon over the weekend will be spent to read up on the instruction manuals and setting up in the spare bedroom. I will post a review as soon as I can get out & try it out.

I did purchase some Helios 10X50 Wide angle binoculars, and had the opportunity to have "play" last night. Very lightweight, and rubber exterior easy to grip. Views despite rain outside were impressive, and focussing very smooth & easy to use. Again can't wait to get out and try on a clear night!!

Andy

Archived