Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Maksutov newtonians - out of fashion ?

I've noticed a number of used Mak Newts coming up for sale recently and not shifting, despite what look like very low prices compared with the purchase cost new. On paper this design seems to have it all - a medium focal length (F6 or F8) giving wide-ish views and a reputation for apo-like sharpness and contrast for planetary use due to the small secondary size.

I'm wondering if it's the fact that they tend to be made in Russia (ie: well engineered but a little quirky and not "glossy") coupled with their weight and length (ie: they need a solid mount and are not "grab and go") that are going against them ?.

I was speaking to a chap who has one currently for sale (a 6 inch) an he was telling me (knowing that I was not in the market for it) that he can resolve detail within Jupiters red spot with his instrument and regularly resolves the 4 brightest jovian moons as discernable disks of varying size rather than points of light.

If I did not need so much portability in my scopes I would be very tempted to try one of these - perhaps you could mount a mak newt OTA as a dobsonian to make it more portable !.

John.

Archived