NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Intes IM 815D

Just got this up and running properly a couple of weeks ago.

"Svetlana" is an Intes 8" Mak-Cass with an f15 ratio (about 3 metres!) and a reduced CO of 24%. Optics are 1/8.9, and all this shows in whatever you point it at.

I'ts considerably sharper and "contrastier" than my TOA130 + Barlow (f14.4) and the extra 3" means detail that's simply not visible in the 5" refractor explodes in your face like a can of shaken Irn-Bru.

Using a 10mm Takahashi LE, Cassini is a doddle and the Enke division is defined on a good, still night.

With all the moisture in the air at the moment, this is probably its limit (a 12mm Brandon is better) but I look forward to late spring and late summer when the air is dry and still to try it with a 7.5 Tak.

So far I've had no image breakdown that wasn't seeing-related.

Its lunar performance is simply outstanding. Mind boggling. Particularly with a pair of binoviewers attached. A pair of 19mm Pans or 13mm Naglers make ideal EPS for Lunar Obs.

With a 31 Nagler or similar EP, its a stunner on DSO's as well.

I spent about 2 1/2 hours last night exploring Omega Cent, 30 Dorado and 47 Tuc.

I've only tried it on some easy doubles, but so far the splits have been very clean, with only minor halos.

And of course - no false colour!

Its obviously rubbish at wide-field work, but I have a nice little 90mm for that.

I will delcare here that the detail, on Saturn at least, is far more satisfying through this 8" than either an 11 or 12 inch SCT.

Though not as bright, it shows far more 'detailed detail' than either.

Very sharp.

The extra attention given the optics is noticable.

I plan (hope) to set it to work lunar and planetary imaging in the near future.

Right after I master 'M' Theory and repairing the dishwasher. :)

Another plus is that these scopes are far less "industrial" than they look in their pictures. Fit and finish is very nice and there are no nasty gaps or mis-fits.

Its not on par with say a Mewlon, but optically its MUCH better.

It also cools down in about 20 minutes thanks to the on-board fan and tube-vents at the front.

It holds collimation like a champ.

Negatives?

Of course.

The focuser is stiff and a little rough, though it 'snaps-to' very well.

The finder has LOTS of curvature and is a 'straight-through' type.

It could also benefit from a standard finder / accessory mount rather than what seems to be a proprietary affair. I've had to shim the rail on my SV50 to make it fit.

No carry-case was included.

I haven't tried any A_P yet, but I think the 3 metre focal length is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Must balance the mount really well!

Its expensive!

I bought mine used at a reasonable price, but new they run the thick end of 4500 Euro-thingys.

That's a fair wack of cash in anyone's books.

To summarise:

This is an optically EXCELLENT 'scope. For 90% of my viewing needs, I've never seen better in its aperture range. It punches above its weight and shows details that are simply blurs in scopes 3-4" larger. If you are a dedictaed observer of Solar System objects, tight doubles or smallish DSOs, the 815 and its smaller sibling the 715D are very hard to go past.

If you have the dosh!

post-24770-133877626547_thumb.jpg

post-24770-133877626551_thumb.jpg

post-24770-133877626556_thumb.jpg

post-24770-133877626562_thumb.jpg

24% is pretty low CO for a cassegrain scope.

It's a dedicated Lunar / Planetary scope.

I believe the original idea of the long FL / low CO came from the now defunct Teton Telescopes. One of their US distributors.

True or not, it pays real dividends at the EP giving a view more like a Mak-Newt without the length and weight.

Archived