NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camera mounting to Skywatcher 150p

Hi,

I have a Skywatcher 150p reflector on an EQ3 mount. I'm confused as to what I need to mount a camera. I understand I need a T adapter, what ever that is. I assume this will be similar but different depending on the camera make.

When using a camera do you mount the camera on to the telescope lens/eye piece or the camera and it's lens.

Pictures would be useful.

thanks

Lloyd

Neither, you mount the camera body to the telescope - no lens or eyepiece involved. The scope is the lens effectively :)

Yes, you need a (camera make) to t-thread adaptor.

The focuser has a t-thread on it (unscrew the 1.25" barrel) which the adaptor screws onto.

<Edit> I just realised I presumed you have an SLR (silly me!) Are you trying to mount an SLR or a compact?

Hi Kh3ldar,

Well, I don't actually have an SLR camera yet, although I do have access to test with a Canaon or a Nikon. I do have a Sony compact but appriciate this will not mount.

So I only need either a Canon T adapter or a Nikon T adapter?

thanks for your reply.

Lloyd

Hi Kh3ldar,

Well, I don't actually have an SLR camera yet, although I do have access to test with a Canaon or a Nikon. I do have a Sony compact but appriciate this will not mount.

So I only need either a Canon T adapter or a Nikon T adapter?

thanks for your reply.

Lloyd

So long as the focuser has the t-thread on it (Direct SLR Connection) or you got a barlow with a t-thread on it, then yes all you need is the adaptor relevant to the camera you are using.

You can mount a compact, but you need to buy a mount and they are normally around £30. I "think" you use an eyepiece in conjunction with it.

Not too knowledable though so maybe someone else can advise on that. Try eBay for a "Universal Compact Camera Mount"

So long as the focuser has the t-thread on it (Direct SLR Connection) or you got a barlow with a t-thread on it, then yes all you need is the adaptor relevant to the camera you are using.

You can mount a compact, but you need to buy a mount and they are normally around £30. I "think" you use an eyepiece in conjunction with it.

Not too knowledable though so maybe someone else can advise on that. Try eBay for a "Universal Compact Camera Mount"

Orion makes the SteadyPix DeLuxe camera mount for afocal photography with compact cameras (at around 30£). It's what I started with. It's not DSLR territory, but it's better than holding the camera to the eyepiece.

Archived