Balancing issues

I am having problems balancing my telescope in RA. Even with the weights as low down the shaft as possible the scope still rises in RA. The only way I could balance was by adding some additional dumbbell weights. Is this normal and am I putting undue stress on the mount with the extra weight?

Thanks

Stuart

A SW200 should balance with the two weights provided with the HEQ5 - Do you have anything adding weight to the set-up eg camera/large eyepieces/guide scope etc?

Second thought - Do you have the weight bar fully extended? Undo the lever and pull it - it may come out a bit further.

Astro Engineering AC686 replacement extra-long counter-balance shaft for HEQ5 & 6 Sky Watcher Mount

To be honest though, if you only have the scope and camera on it I'm very surprised it won't balance. What's the weight of the SLR?

I bought this as I have as much as I dare put on the mount and I didn't want to put another weight on (200p, st80, rings (x2,) SLR, guidecam, telrad)

One other thing to do is rotate the tube assembly so that the camera is on the mount side of the tube. This can make a substantial difference to the counter-weight required

take a look at Peter Shah's setup Equipment

Derek

If you decide that you do need extra weight then pop down to Tesco and buy a couple of small weights from the "keep-fit" department. If you put a bit of hosepipe or similar in the hole they will go on the weight bar without rattling about! I have a couple of 2Kg weights that get used from time to time, either as extra's or just to allow lightweight kit to balance at all!

I must admit, as soon as I added my DSLR to my set up I could not get my kit balanced. I ended up using an extension bar for a while, then decided the extra length was going to get in the way so got another counterweight.

I would definitely second what Bizibilder says about the weights at Tesco's. Will be a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated counterweight!!

Archived