Solar Filters

During my enforced health break I did a little reading to pass the time and came across solar filters and considered getting one for my Astro-130.

Couple of questions:

1. Are they safe? As beautiful as it is, is extremely dangerous to look at, especially through a scope.

2. If they safe enough to use, where can I get one? I know that the average price is £65.00 but can't find a supplier.

Help much appreciated.

During my enforced health break I did a little reading to pass the time and came across solar filters and considered getting one for my Astro-130.

Couple of questions:

1. Are they safe? As beautiful as it is, is extremely dangerous to look at, especially through a scope.

2. If they safe enough to use, where can I get one? I know that the average price is £65.00 but can't find a supplier.

Help much appreciated.

You can get a A4 piece of solar film for around £15 from FLO and make your own filter. 1) If you are using the filter safety, then it will be fine.

2) FLO and many other places :)

For my Explorer 130m I made an off-axis holder because it was my first observing attempt and just wanted to try and see. This link shows you how to make a filter http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/117725-making-off-axis-solar-filter.html. You might want to jump straight in and make a full aperture one but this is a lot of help :)

P.S: Look at the PDF file and also the pictures on the last post I believe

Thanks for the link SJ, it will be of great help. The sheet arrived yesterday. My wife has offered to make them for me as she is much better at these things!

Typical Orkney though, just when I thought I got it covered with no night time at this time of the year, instead do a little solar study. WE now have rain and clouds:icon_scratch:.

Archived