Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

new scope buying advice

still a novice, but know my aldebarans from my dubhes, I`m looking at buying a new scope- for faint fuzzies, to upgrade from 102 rferactor(with goto). Have been thinking of the lightbridge 12 inch dob, but now having second thoughts and going for the lxd75 10" with goto- as vague thoughts of astrophotography, but my main joy is seeing the skies and ease of use.

I suppose my questions are

1.how easy/expensive is it to get into astrophotography?

2. would i notice much difference in what you can practically see with the two scopes with a 2 inch difference in diameter( and not forgetting £400 in price)

To answer question 1, it's very easy and relatively cheap to get into astrophotography, especially if you already have a camera. It's also very easy to spend loads of money on it once you get hooked here on the dark side.

Planets are best done with a cheap webcam and a long 'scope as is the moon, though you don't even need a long 'scope for that.

You can use a mobile 'phone handheld at the eyepiece.

If you have a digital camera you can get a bracket to hold it at the eyepiece, or just handhold it.

If you have a DSLR, the costs are minimal, just a couple of adapter bits and you're ready for some great shots.

If you haven't got a DSLR you can get a modified webcam for £100 ish which will be easier to use than the DSLR.

If you want to get serious, you need a CCD camera (£1000 - £loadsamoney), guidescope, guide control computer and software, fancy image processing software and the patience of Job.

If you have uncles called His Royal Highness, or Croesus, that will help a lot too.

It depends on what you have and what you want to image really. A bash at the moon with any old webcam should get you started, and won't cost a fortune.

Captain Chaos

Archived