Focussing an ST80

Sorry guys for the low intellect post.

I bought my daughter the above one christmas and we never really used it. I tried setting it up last night just to have a look at a few stars.

I used the pointer scope just to get something in the viewfinder bang on the crosshairs and when we looked through the scope we see nothing. It's almost like it isn't focussing. I zoomed in and out and nada. I can't find the original manual that came with it.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Is there such a thing as an idiots guide for an idiot like me. I used the 2X barlow that came with it and I've tried the 10X and 25X lenses. Forgive me for saying a completely potentially absurd comment, but I'd pointed it outside the house at some trees and it's just blurry. Doesn't focus. Being a complete newbie, I don't know if this is because of the short focussing distance compared to pointing skyward.

Any help would be appreciated.

the finderscope may need some tweeking, i found it easiest to get the moon in the center of the field of view, and then tweek the finderscope crosshairs. This wont be as accurate as using a star like Vega but will get you in the ball park.

Andy, as Earl said, you should have received a diagonal. Set the scope up during daylight, put the diagonal in with an eyepiece, and point it at something a fair distance away. You should be able to achieve focus easily, then align the finder scope (pointer).

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your replies. They have been very helpful. I

never even knew about the diagonal. Put this in and focussing spot on.

Now to enjoy the sky

Much appreciated guys

Have fun:) have you downloaded stellarium? its a really great easy to use program that will help you locate objects in the sky, you enter your location and it will display exactly whats in the nights sky-its totaly free and very very helpfull.

I'd actually bought some time ago, Starry night V5.0. The enthusiast version. Not the fully loaded one. A similar program however. Shows you what you'll see when looking either north or south, and it does work very well. Look out your window and that is what you see on the pc. Very helpful.

Would love to do photography since I am a keen photographer. Costs for appropriate kit is a bit of a problem right now.

Thats why I opted for an ST80, since if I ever get the free money, then this would make a good finder scope.

The scope will need the diagonal attached.

Then, during daylight, point the scope at something distant and get whatever in the field of view, focus it and get it in the centre.

Then adjust the finder so that it has the same thing in the centre of it's view.

Then hopefully what you get in the finder at night will be in the main scope as well.

When trying to find anything start out with the eyepiece that has the biggest number, longest focal length, on it. The field of view is bigger.

Stick a location on your signature, someone may be able to help in the case of future problems.

Whilst it's not recomendes thanks to the CA, the little ST80 can do a fair job for imaging too, even when mounted on something very not ideal :). I can point you to some examples if you'ld like.

Archived