NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SWA 38mm - Orion Q70 clone ?

I've just bagged a 2inch Super Wide Angle 38mm eyepiece from Sky's the Limit via e.bay for what looks like a bargain price. The seller posted some very good pictures of the EP (which is new) so I was able to compare it carefully with others of it's type and I'm pretty sure it's a clone of the 38mm model in Orion's (USA) new Q70 range. These had a decent review on Astromart so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one does. If it's spec is correct it should be offering just about as wide a view as you can get in the 2inch size - 70 degrees which equates to a 1.33 degree field in my C8 SCT or just over 2 degrees using the .63 focal reducer.

I'll post a short review once I get it and have had a chance to try it out.

John

Are they the same as Ian King is selling as 'Rigel widefields'?

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=98

(near bottom of page)

Yes they look the same - the printing on the one I have bought is white though - oh and it was about 50% cheaper :lol:

I would not have bothered if my scopes were short focal length - you need premium wide fields for that, but with a F7.5 and an F10 now I reckon it was worth trying one.

Probably won't look too pretty at the edges through the ST102 though !.

John

Archived