Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D80 for Astro Imaging ???

Hi All,

After showing my younger, wealther brother..... mutter, grumble, :roll: [but not better looking 8) :lol: some pics of the eclipse I took with the Nikon 990. I mentioned it was OK but for serious imaging it wasn't really up to the job. He kindly offered me the use of his new Nikon D80 with 18-70mm lens.

I've had a brief look on net, but thought best to ask the experts.....

Would this be any good for DSO's, planets etc either piggybacked or if pos attached to focuser??

Although I read a lot, this is still new area for me. :lol:

If I'd of known he was buying one, I'd of told him to have got a 350D! 8)

You kind words, help and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Just to get you going, you'll need a camera nosepiece to fit the focuser of your 'scope. 2" is better than 1.25" if it will fit. And a T ring to mate the nosepiece to the camera. Most SW 'scopes have a T thread already on the focuser somewhere so you can do without the nosepiece initially, but you'll need one to attach filters to when you get round to needing them.

Camera settings:-

Manual

ISO H1 (ISO3200) to start off, then back off to ISO 800 if the tracking will allow it without trailing

Shutter speed 10 seconds ish (vary this to get something that you can see) increasing to 30 seconds as you drop the ISO.

Focusing is a real pain, focus on the brightest thing you can see (moon, planet, big star etc) and then lock the focus. A Hartman mask really helps with this.

Make sure that your finder 'scope is aligned as you will not see much at all through the camera's finder so lining up is awkward to say the least.

Get your bro. round to drive the camera, he'll get a buzz out of showing you how it works and he'll be shocked at the ace results for your first go, then buy some expensive gear that you can borrow as well. :lol:

Have a go and have fun!

Captain Chaos

Thanks Captain,

Almost had a heart atack when I saw the manual had 160 pages :D

But calmed down when after flicking through, most of it I won't need :)

Will try out your stuff first, then let his lordship show me what [?] he knows :)

When my brother get's round to showing me the camera, I'll hopefully be able to show him a thing or two through the scope.

Thanks again 8)

Archived