NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding with a Netbook?

I am planning to use a guide cam with PHD and a 1000d with APT. I am pretty sure my netbook only has two USB ports so am I one short?

1) guide cam > PHD

2) PHD > mount

3) APT > 1000d

I'm sure others are using netbooks so what am I missing?

The obvious?!:)

Thanks,

John

I use an Hp netbook with the 1000d, EQ6, QHy5. using PHD, EQMod etc. You'll need a USB hub to increase your USB port count. Because I run mine remotely (in the warm :-) I use the Active extension Pro system from Lindy with one of these hubs on the end. Works fine. 8m USB 2.0 Active Extension Pro 4 Port Hub | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK

edit: you don't have to use the above type system if your cable lengths are less than 5m. A normal USB hub will probably be ok tho quality varies. I'd also allow for using a powered hub so an extra power point required. The system I use boosts the power from the USB port so doesn't need additional power.. more expensive but works for me. I've spend too much time messing with inferior cables & hubs during my time so to it's worth it.

If you go for this system you can extend upto ~50 feet !

Just take care you choose the right active cables and cables to hub combination you need. There's 2 types of 8 or 12 m cables & cables/hub.. You'll need the 'first segment' (from your netbook) to be the right type. If I remember right I got the 8m with hub as thats the only hub you can use as the first segment, the 12m one has to go at the end of the other cable extensions.

I did mine this way in case I only wanted a short run & just use the single 8m hub extension on it's own.

Archived