NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 350D to pc direct

obscura

I can upload images from CF card to pc using Canon s/w, but is there a way to have the Canon upload to pc in addition to the CF after each take? I have looked deep into this but cannot see a way to do it. The Canon is in pc mode and not printer.

Hi Ken. Thanks for that. I have been through user manuals, menus but cannot find any ref on this. Checked on the Canon web site and no mention there either. However, I have posted the question on their support for the camera and may get an answer in the next few days. Will add a post here on the result.

This is not a critical issue but more of a nice to have for focussing etc.

Rgds

I have a 350D and i cannot use my new laptop, which uses windows7 64 bit OS, for focusing.

I use an older laptop, running with windows xp, for capture during the imaging session using the canon utilities software that came with the camera.. I then load the images onto a memory stick and transfer them to the new laptop for processing.

Canon apparently do not provide drivers for the 350D for 64 bit systems.

Sounds like it. I thought or heard or read that W7 Home edition package ships with both 32 and 64 bit. The Pro version can be run in an XP environment - so the blurb says. But nowadays you don't get discs with laptops. Fortunately, so far, I haven't had a W7 prob running s/w on the laptop but it is 32bit version. My pc stills runs the good old reliable XP.

W8 ships next year - so more probs? Its remiss of MS to load a new OS onto us with little regard to the Home user who can rarely afford to keep updating. Neither do companies in my experience.

OK. Cracked it!

It's controlled from Zoom Browser Ex, EOS connect. This links to Utility where you pick up on Remote shooting which then brings up the camera control. Here you can set ISO, shutter etc. Shutter is 1/4000 to 30 secs - the camera's limits. And multiple shooting. Sadly you cannot go above 30 secs to say 5 mins. however, this is fine for focus setting.

Rgds

I used to run my 350D using a program called DSLRFocus it needs both usb and Serial Shutter cables connected but allows looping focus shots with FWHM measurements and running exposure plans...

It Hasn't been actively updtaed for ages so dont know if its still available...

Peter...

I only needed the Canon to pc for focussing only.

I have the Hahnel Giga Pro timer which happily controls exposure time intervals, delays to hours and hours and as many shots you want - wirelessly. Set it going for lights. When done, press a button for darks. Good piece of kit though it don't appear to like the mirror lock. I think the mirror lock times out at 30s. But a second or two over several minutes and more shouldn't be a prob.

All input appreciated.

I have had a reply from Canon. The 350D is not compatable with W7 32 & 64 bit. 400D, 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D are compatable though. I think with these cameras you can set exposure over the 30 sec camera limit.

However, W7 32 bit does work with my 350D other than an error after each shot which can be ignored. The image is returned to desktop and simply needs sliding into Zoom Browser Ex.

W7 32/64 Canon 350D driver updates are available from the Canon web site. The original software disc supplied with the camera is reqired and installed on the laptop/pc. AS I have a working system here I am hanging fire for the mo.

Archived