what can i see?

I new to all this so im just trying to learn as i go. i have a pair of 10x50 celestron binos and am wondering whats out there that i can make out fairly well with them. im just south of cambridge in england and will be hopefully getting out tonight (weather permiting) any advice would be grand thanks

For binoculars you are best to search out a few of the brighter clusters, open and globular.

Also try some double stars, have a shot at Alberio in Cygnus. If dark enough you should just make out the 2 stars and some colour.

Problem is that saying look at this that or another Messier is fine, but I guess tha tyou don't know where to exactly look? I may be utterly wrong here so if so I apologise.

MAny people here download and use Stellarium, give it a try. I tend to use a book. Find I can thake the book outside easier.

What constellations do you know?

If you could tell us that then people can suggest things to look for in the ones you know.

Where about South of Cambridge are you.

Have you transport.

Just thinking of a possible option, or two.

Hopefully you are still on-line and I will go locate a trusty book for objects.

Read original post, Haverhill is East of Cambridge, thinking of Melbourne, Royston. Should be dark around your area however.

and as for constellations its probably fair to say that i dont know any at all. Im starting from scratch all ive really viewes so far is the moon and thats about it. a friend of mine has a bit more experience and has a fairly decent scope so im just going to try and learn bits and pieces from him. he has Stellarium so will be using that to help me aswell

The 2 starters are The Plough and Casseiopia.

Being circumpolar they are visible all year.

In the Plough is Mizer, double star half way along the handle.

Pointers point to Polaris.

Polaris is the end star of the little plough, just not as easy to make out.

Casseiopia has a few things but not not sure what for binoculars. I use it to find Andromeda and the double cluster. But sure there is a cluster or two near.

If you find the Plough then follow the handle away from the "pan" and maintain the curve. You bump into a big orange/red star. Arcturus. Arcturus is the main start of Bootes, the rest isn't exactly prominent but you should pick it out.

Cygnus is nice and hign and as said Alberio is in it.

Lyra should be up and there is a double double star in it, what I would term top right but doesn't help, as only I have some idea what I mean.

If you can locate Leo then you can see the cluster of galaxies at the end of it, again end and up in my terms. Easily seen through binoculars and a field of really tiny disks. Almost points but you can make out they are tiny tiny disks.

I have used 8x42's to see most of what I have said and in a small town so a degree of light polution.

Get a copy of Stellarium (it's free) for any PC you have access to. There are also similar apps for iPhone and Android smartphones (and probably others). The nice thing about them is they show you what you can see now, and in what direction. Books and charts need a bit more figuring out to use effectively.

I came into this hobby knowing a few of the more obvious constellations and learned most of the rest, by comparing what was labelled on my iPhone screen, with what I could see in the sky above me. Once you have learned a few more of the constellations and what goes where, it is a bit easier to find your way around.

As others have mentioned cool things in binoculars are some of the bigger clusters. The Double CLuster between Cassiopeia and Perseus is absolutely stunning and gorgeous in binoculars. Easily my favourite way to look at this object. And throughout the Winter you have the Pleiades (M45) and The Orion Nebula (M42). Both amazing in binoculars. The other really cool Autumn through Spring sight is the Andromeda Galaxy (M31). It won't look like the glorious curdled spiral of stars you see in the pictures on this forum, but you will definitely see something remarkable - a cloud of billions of suns 2.3million light years away.

Tracking the Milky Way as it travels through Cygnus is good in the summer. You see so many stars, and as you get your eye in, clusters and other features start to become visible. It's just fun scanning around and following the trail.

There are also 'asterisms'. These are patterns of stars too small to have been recorded as a constellations by the ancients, but often a good view in binoculars. There is 'the Coathanger' close to Cygnus, that looks like what it is called, and Kemble's Cascade.

If you don't have some sort of clever mount (which I don't) the two problems I face are fatigue leading to image jiggle, and neck pain caused by prolonged viewing high up in the sky. My solutions: elbows on the roof of the car in the drive to stabilise the image, and only look up to a comfortable height. For something high up, the sun-lounger becomes a key tool.

But half the fun is just scanning around to find interesting looking things. Once you have found something working out what you were looking at, based on what contellation you were in and what key stars you can see, adds to the pleasure.

old_eyes

Biggy,

Binoculars are excellent for gazing at star-fields, because of their comparatively wide field of view. If you have one of those old fashioned deck-chairs or similar, you will find they are great for using binoculars. Just lean back in the chair and gaze away. With your head supported at the rear, you won't get a cricked neck so easily and your binos will be held steady.

The other option is a ground sheet, and lying on the lawn, with your elbows propped against the ground.

Not much fun in Winter of course, but a great way of observing for warm summer nights. :)

Have fun and I hope I ain't teaching you 'egg-sucking'...

Jon :)

Archived