Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A 6" almost polished Newtonian mirror.

Luke Inup

In 1966, I set out to make a 6" Newtonian Mirror.

For various reasons this was an unfinished project.

I used 1" thick plate glass, as mirror and tool.

I still have it, in an almost polished out state. I believe it to be about f10, and it is a slight oblate spheroid at the moment.

I also have an elliptical flat (Might need re-aluminising) and the last lap I used is still on the tool. (It would need a new lap casting obviously.)

is this worth anything at all ?

regards

JojJon :)

Are you looking to finish the project, or sell the blank on? In either case, i'd say it is worth something. I just finished a 6-inch mirror which I'd left in an almost identical state to yours in 1996, so I'd say go for it :) I reground my mirror too, but that was just because I wanted to make it a bit faster than originally. Sounds like yours would make a nice planetary Newtonian? I suspect that the flat will need re-aluminising as you say, but you can probably get that done for very little extra when you get the primary coated.

If you want to sell the blank+flat, there are always people interested in this kind of thing so I'm sure a post in the buy/sell boards (you'll need >50 posts to see this) will find a buyer.

Thank you TD...

I think my back is too worn now for bending over a grinding table.

Yes, I would go back to fine-grind and start polishing again.

So am probably going to get rid of it. Once I have the requisite number of posts, I will advertise it for disposal.

Obliged for your help

JJ :)

Archived