NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Central America observing

Hello all - very much a 'keen idiot' speaking here so just after some good advice if possible!

Im headed to central america for 2 months at the end of June to explore the Yucatan, Belize & Guatemala - Hoping to discover the ancient's link to the stars and looking to do a bit of observing myself

I won't be taking a scope (still havent taken the plunge in fact!), but will be taking a modest set of bins and an DSLR with me to capture the odd night sky pic....

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about things to look out for while being at a lower latitude? Will I still be able to see the famous annual meteor shower that happens in the UK in august for example? And is there anything special that I should look out for in July & August?

Obviously looking forward to darker skies so anything extra I wouldnt usually see from the UK would be a bonus!

Thanks in advance

I spent a spell from late July to the end of August in the Yucatan, cycle touring. I'm afraid it was most often cloudy, kind of steamy, at night. Incredibly hot and humid. If I remember, we did get some starry nights up in the Sierra Madre en route for Guatemala (which we never got to for various reasons.)

Great area though. Whatever you do, don't miss out on a swim or two around the barrier reef. I don't dive but just cheapo snorkelling trips were amazing.

A couple of good reads (forgive me if you already have them) are the account by Catherwood and Stevens of their Maya exploring and illustrating trip and also The Lost World Of Quntana Roo, an alarming travelogue from the fifties.

It pays to get to Chichen Itza before opening time and be the first to get in because the crowds are are incredible.

Have a good trip.

Olly

thats some great advice, thanks Olly - Chichenitza, tikal, reef all on the list to do...

Ive got my 'collins mini star map' with me and ive got a planisphere, but noticed its only for northern europe, usa, canada etc, might spend some time making one now....Stellarium looks great - thanks i wil look into!

thats some great advice, thanks Olly - Chichenitza, tikal, reef all on the list to do...

Ive got my 'collins mini star map' with me and ive got a planisphere, but noticed its only for northern europe, usa, canada etc, might spend some time making one now....Stellarium looks great - thanks i wil look into!

If you see a bootlace sized snake don't poke at it as I did with a sandal clad toe. I learned later that they are deadly... The iguanas are fantastic, real bruisers.

Olly

Archived