SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Narrow Band Filters

SoulFrenzy

Narrowband filters such as the UHC and O-III types do enhance the contrast of nebulae. In some cases they make the difference between seeing nothing and seeing an object. Of the Orion filters, I found the Orion Ultrablock the most effective. These filters do not improve the views of galaxies and star clusters though.

Narrowband filters such as the UHC and O-III types do enhance the contrast of nebulae. In some cases they make the difference between seeing nothing and seeing an object. Of the Orion filters, I found the Orion Ultrablock the most effective. These filters do not improve the views of galaxies and star clusters though.

Agreed, except that some star-burst galaxies can benefit a bit from narrowband filters (wider band LPR may be better).

Agreed, except that some star-burst galaxies can benefit a bit from narrowband filters (wider band LPR may be better).

That's interesting :(

Perhaps I should have re-phrased my post "galaxies that I have observed to date don't seem to benefit from these filters" :)

Are there any examples you can give us of galaxies that might benefit Michael ?.

My UHC filter has worked quite well on a few spiral galaxies with strong star formation. M82 springs to mind, which is a real starburst galaxy, but some other spirals also benefited. This is simply because of the greater number of star-forming regions, which have more line emission in their spectra. On most galaxies you are right, but if you know it is a star-burst, you can give UHC filters a shot. O-III would not be a good idea.

In smaller apertures the Veil is invisible without, even at a dark site. In larger apertures it is visible but subtle. In an O111 filter it is as plain as day. In a 70mm Pronto it is easy with a Baader O111. Likewise the Rosette in small widefield instruments. So, yes, on some objects they really are a boon. I don't use my O111 on many objects but when I need it I need it.

Olly

Archived