NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn from Friday night

BlueAstra

Couple of processed images from Saturn on Thursday night. The first one is with my EQ6 + C8 SCT + SX FW + x2 Barlow + mono DMK. About a 1000 frames per colour, RGB, at 30 fps. The second one is with the same setup, but with a x3 Barlow (thats a focal length of 6m at F/30 !). Focussing looks off, so will have to try again. Very hard to get a clean image with the x3.

Makes a change standing next to the telescope with the laptop rather than controlling it from inside at 'Mission Control' (I'm the CCD Nut from this month's SatN mag, minus the expensive kit!). Inspired by this I put the eyepiece in at the end of the session and viewed Saturn in the raw, Fantastic!

post-16060-133877613282_thumb.jpg

post-16060-133877613585_thumb.jpg

Hi BlueAstra

Nice 1st image, I got exactly the same result as your 2nd image on the same night and @ F30 with a x3 Barlow too, it must have been the conditions I'm thinking/ hoping!

That's another nice image, I've noticed you are using the DMK, I'm wanting to upgrade from the SPC900 I have at present. How do you find the DMK? Would you recommend it?

I've never used an spc900 so I'm not sure I can compare it. I used to have a colour NexImage that was quite good. I wanted to upgrade to something with a higher frame rate and resolution, so I thought a mono DMK was a good way to go. It would also serve me if I decided to do some solar observation. However, having to use a filter wheel + filters makes the arrangement more expensive than colour camera, and more fraught to use. Potentially better pictures though. Never had a problem with it, but occasionally the supplied software, IC capture, freezes.

Archived