NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help taking apart xbox cam..

• 3 weeks later...

just seen your post an thought id give it a go ,to get the lens of twist it counter clockwise with your teeth it makes a click an then just pull it out ,it doesn't break it and it can go back on, it seems to work ,gets focus no prob an without a barlow ,i tried it at a house a few miles away an it looked good ;) ,can wait to try it at the sky,....to attach it to my telescope im just going to take the sliver ring thing off my barlow lens and glue it to the webcam lol hope it gets good results :D btw my telescope is a skywatcher 130p

one question form me ,what program do i use to capture the video b4 i put it into a stacking program? an what stacking program do u's recomend?

iv used sharp cap (its made by one of our members on the forum) its free to use as well and registax for the stacking ;) which mount have you got?

chears gareth must check that out ,... i have the supatrack mount ....also on the xbox cam i had to open it up an break the green led lights inside it as they where shining on to the mirror theres four of them in it i just poped them of with a knife

This is an interesting idea, are you talking about the standard xbox live cam? I have one shoved in a cupboard, bought it ages ago and it was rubbish, been used twice I think. Is it actually any good for imaging? A guide on taking it apart and attaching it to the scope would be handy and if anyone has any pics taken with it pop them on:hello2:

post-27026-133877623377_thumb.jpg

the bog standered xbox cam i managed to take the noise peice off glued a old barlo lens (with the lens taken out) i bought off astroboot, hopefully if its dry and cloud free as its supposed to be tonight i might give it a go!! unfortunatly i didnt take any pics when i did it but its fairly easy to do u can use ur teeth but i found a pair of pliers aattached th the dark gray bit at the end of the lens turn it anti clockwise and it should pop off, then pull the black lens out and the CCD is directly below it!

Look forward to seeing the results!!! was it just a 2x barlow?

hi nova ,yep just the stranded cam ...hears the pic of mine with just a fitting ring glued to it ,it just fits the telescope like a ep would ....as gareth has said skys been poor the last week but the terrestrial viewing is good, tonights looking more promising will post up if i get anything

so you popped the grey ring off the nose and removed the existing lens then simply stuck a barlow tube over the hole where the ccd is? i quess this would work with any 1.25" tube as long as the inside of the tube was matt black? what would happen if you made the tube wide enough to slide over an EP that you had in the focusing tube? could you then benefit from the magnification? i guess you would have to position the camera the correct distance from the EP to allow for the exit pupil. sorry this is a side of the hobby i know nothing about and could very well be talking rubbish!!

Any 1.25 fitting ring will do there all the same ,i just took mine of a barlow i dont use, it not black inside either. Even at that i if did want to use the barlow again i could just share the ring with one of my other ep's they just screw on an off.The grey ring and lens are attached ,just screw the lens to the end of its focus (counter clockwise) it will fell like it wont go anymore at this point grab it with your teeth or what ever an apply a bit of force till it starts to move again then just take it out ,u have to pull it at an angle with a bit of force to get it free ....just try it if u have one got nothing to lose really if it not getting used?.im the same myself dont have a clue if it will be any good but will give me an idea whats possible with my scope an whether or not i should buy the spc900nc which will obliviously be better(i think?)btw as far as using a ep with a web cam i cant really see this as being much use ,yes it would probably work, but seeing as a web cam is more or less a 6mm ep adding any extra magnification would be pointless unless u had a very big scope lol...also as of yet im not even sure if this cam has a ccd cant seem to find that info??oh a tonight is cloudy in n.ireland so still no idea how it is lol

Thats not to bad mate, better than I expected tbh. You also got a moon (around 7 O'clock to Saturn) is there any way to increase the magnification? Think this might be worth a go just to have a play with the software and get to grips with it. Lunar shots will be interesting

thats all im doing it for to ,to get to grips with it all b4 i spend any money ...barlow would increase magnification i guess, i will try next time its clear ,as i said this could of been a lot better had i of went out side and if the sky had of been clearer .also the vid i took this from is only about 2mins long ,so defo room for improvement.....

i think the saturn looks pretty good s.howie, for what the camer is litterly off the shelf it does give good shots, i think i may av messed mine, i used a barlow older (one of the plastic skywatcher ones) removed the lens but my scope cant focus as not enough forward thread, might put the lens back in to see

just pull it off an attach the sliver ring like i did ,btw it will work with the lens put back into the barlow holder ,haven't tryed it at the sky but gets focus no prob at a house a few miles away ,there a fair bit of give each side of the focus as well

Archived