NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Saturn 31.5.11

jnc71106

Hi all this is my first try at Saturn thought I better have a go before she gets to low

Didn't have much of an idea on setting to use in sharpcap so just played around then stacked in registax no idea how to use that either

Taken with my unmodded spc900 really need to use a Barlow I think next time

post-24512-13387761132_thumb.jpg

Yes, a little increase in size would not hurt :), but it is still clearly Saturn and a very good first attempt. Well done.

Thanks very much was quite happy with the result considering I had no idea what I was doing

Should I go for a x3 barlow or stick with x2 or do I try and push it with a x5

Cheers

Jake

Somewhere in the middle if you can. I think 5x may be pushing it a bit considering altitude and brightness, but 2x will not be enough. You have really left it a bit late for Satirn IMO, but plenty of time to get some practise in for when Jupiter arrives, and a 5x may be the best choice

Yep left it too late for Saturn. I did try about 2 months ago but could get focus on the telescope I had at the time. Then I got new scope and got tied up in trying to image dso's. And your right it's all practice for Jupiter now can't wait

Cheers

Jake

I am impressed I tried a couple of weeks ago to do saturn with my new SPC880 (modded) but i couldnt find it in the sharp cap screen.

Waiting for the moon to come back out at a reasonable hour to have some practice with it.

I am impressed I tried a couple of weeks ago to do saturn with my new SPC880 (modded) but i couldnt find it in the sharp cap screen.

Waiting for the moon to come back out at a reasonable hour to have some practice with it.

Really helps if you have an eyepiece with a crosshair on it. I use a Meade illuminated 9mm eyepiece then I can get the object right in the middle. Makes it a lot easier when you then swap and put the webcam in the focuser

I did try to do that but still couldnt get it to appear on the screen, Im not sure i had any of the settings correct which is why i want t try it out on the moon and make sure i know what i am doing lol.

This is not really a scientific approach, but when changing e/p to webcam, I tend to slide the webcam in and then 'wiggle it about' a bit while watching the screen. That usually brings the object into view at some point and gives me a reasonable idea of where it is if off the screen when the webcam settles into its 'normal' position. Once found I keep an eye on it as I am tightening the screws and can usually bring it back on screen fairly easily.

The other thing is that the focus can be quite a lot different, and can sometimes make the object so 'diffuse' on the screen you can't make it out. I solve this problem with some tests on a bright object (like the moon). I then note how far and in which direction I have to turn the focussing knob to bring it to a rough focus and then do that on my fainter object before I try and line it up.

HTH

Archived