NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus viewings

King

Just been able to spot Venus for the first time (I was using binoculars) since it was viewable before dawn. It's pretty low still so I'm only able to view from my bedroom so to capture it I need to get the telescope in here and use some ingenuity.

I did try some daytime viewing but until my GOTO mount arrives that's a challenge I have yet to beat.

I've found Venus in daylight a couple of times. You need to stand in shadow to keep the suns glare out of your eyes and avoid the possibility of accidental retina destruction. If you then hunt around in the correct area of sky with your binoculars you should eventually locate her. Once spotted you will then be able to see it with nekkid eye.

Just been able to spot Venus for the first time (I was using binoculars) since it was viewable before dawn. It's pretty low still so I'm only able to view from my bedroom so to capture it I need to get the telescope in here and use some ingenuity..

IMHO to be honest the view you are going to get from inside your house and through the window is probably not worth the effort of dragging your scope up there. Unless you have a seriously large instrument Venus just shows a bright whitish disc, you will see the phase but not much else. Probably better to wait until it is visible from ground level (maybe when it next becomes an evening object - depends on your exact viewing location) and you will get a much better view of it..

You're right of course, but I went for it anyway. I did manage to view it through the telescope (right from where I'm typing now at my computer) but capturing was another matter. I just couldn't seem to get it to show in either Sharpcap or IC Capture (with SPC/DMK respectively).

I just couldn't seem to get it to show in either Sharpcap or IC Capture (with SPC/DMK respectively).

I know little of these matter of which you speak :)

All I know is that if observing is marginal then you can forget imaging most of the time....

Yeah, probably a setting or something. The only successful daytime view I've had up til now is the Moon. Perhaps the glass was an issue as well. The downstairs viewing is more comfortable as I have a balcony on one side and a landing on the other - but that is simply too low at the moment, particularly with a nearby tree.

Archived