NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Short report 25/2/07

Andrew

Despite the patchy cloud last night I decided to set up on the off chance of getting in some observing and I was really glad I did because the seeing was better than I can remember for months. I finally got some nice sharp views of the Cassinni division at x150 to x200. Some banding was evident on Saturn and there was a very sharp dark line separating the planet from the ring system (not sure if this could have been the shadow of the rings on the planet?). I also got some spectacular views of the moon with my new Meade 5000 SWA eyepieces (thanks Steve). I'm not normally a huge fan of planetary/lunar but with decent seeing it was well worth it.

I Feel really bad now cos its kinda clear here tonight but im being well lazy and watchin some bond films instead. bit silly really cos its the best night ive seen for ages but im just not in the mood and the weather says clouds later/soon. Please make me feel better. Glad you had a good time last night how do you find the meade eyepiece say when compared ot a naglar as ive always been tempted but would rather have a sneaky peek before laying down any notes. whats the FL and how have you found it?

Andy

Too early to say yet about the eyepieces since I've only had a look through them for an hour or so last night and a couple of nights ago. On both nights the moon was bright and last night the seeing was much better than it has been for a long time so it's difficult to make a snap judgement.

I have the boxed set: 16mm, 24mm & 34mm. So far all I can really say is that they are all very comfortable to use. No problem with eye relief or kidney beaning - a little better in fact than my Pentax XW although that is a 10mm. Views through the 16mm and 24mm were very sharp with nice contrast on M81 and M82 even with the moon. More than that I can't say at the moment. I'll post a full report when I've had a few decent nights with them (probably in about 6 months given the current weather :lol:)

Archived