Meade etx80/90 or celestron 4se/90slt

I had a meade etx80 backpack edition that was returned due to a fault. No replacements available at the time so I got my money back. Now it's time to buy a replacement on a trip to America (originally bought in the UK). As telescopes (and many other things) are cheaper in USA I have slightly more available to spend.

Do I stick with the etx80 (all on one package, easy to transport as I fly a lot), upgrade to the etx90 (and buy a bag for it), or switch to one of the celestron options (and buy a bag)? Any advantages of going either route? I'm assuming all are siomialr size and could be carried as handluggage on a flight.

I'm very new to the telescope scene but have a modded philips webcam and am interested in more pictures of moon/planets (first vision of saturn was amazing) and then starting to get a better look around at the messiers (seen a couple already).

I'd appreciate any input.

The other scopes are very different from the ETX-80, which is a f/5 refractor. The ETX-90 is a f/13.8 mak, which will give you much narrower views with higher magnification (and therefore dimmer results). I have owned an ETX-80 and frankly the meade mounts do not impress me with their 'plasticy' feel. I have also got a 6SE (the big 4SE's brother). The 4SE is another mak scope, but the celestron mounts are IMHO miles better than the meade ones and the light grasp is that much bigger.

The ETX 90 and the 4SE are about twice the price of the ETX 80, and it is easy for me to spend someone else's money. But if it was me, I would be inclined to go for the 4SE out of the options you have quoted. You will find the ETX80 almost impossible to sell-on if you decide you want to upgrade (I know that from experience!), whereas the 4SE should move quite easily. A quick internet search shows they are available for about £365 upwards. However, just under £400 is more usual and you may consider purchasing from a known supplier (e.g. FLO, Harrisons, RVO, Green Witch, etc - check out the 'supplier review' section of the forum) to be worth the extra few quid. As I said before ... it is easy for me to spend someone else's money.

HTH

It is easy to pick up and carry the 4se and its mount as a single unit. It gives quite nice planetary and dso views but the aperture is quite limited.

I wouldn't consider a scope under 100mm for visual use. I would say even 100mm is marginal if you have light pollution to contend with.

The largest aperture will give you the best views of DSOs and planets, but the shortest focal length will give you wide views, which will make some of the best DSOs look at their best and will be easier to use.

Hi tiredboy, i've cut/pasted this to your poll thread as well... you dont mention which part of the world you are in, but i have a pristine 4SE that will be going on the 'for sale' board soon - maybe if you're local (ish) you would like a 'try before you buy' session? I'm on the UK sussex coast near Worthing. PM me for details if you're interested. At least you could get a feel for the scope, weight, portability, etc...

Archived