NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pixinsight Help Please

I wonder if you guys that regularly use Pixinsight could please offer some advice.

Being very new at astrophotography I have spent the last few months playing with various pieces of software in order to learn the processes of stacking flats, bias, darks, etc etc.

After some success with DSS I then looked into the more advanced ap software tools and it seems that Pixinsight is very popular and powerful. Having downloaded the 42 day trial version I have spent this entire weekend getting to grips with it's various functions in order integrate, calibrate bias, flats, darks etc. Now I have just got to the stage where I am actually integrating (stacking) the debayered_calibrated_lights whereby the integration of pixels line by line completes it's 3 channel integration and just as it begins to evalute noise.......BANG!.......I get an out of memory message and it fails :0(

I have tried reducing the cache size (I think that's what its called) from 16mb right down to 5mb (as this seemed to help overcome previous problems I had had integrating darks) but I just cannot get it to complete the process.

Has anybody else who uses the program got any tips for me or could suggest some settings that I can adjust in order to force it to work. Obviously, I wont be buying the program if I cant get it to work but I have seen some fantastic results with it so I am being patient!

As an aside, (I know that this is going to sound stupid) but is the AHD process in DSS automatically debayering your images? Basically, is the resultant stacked image in DSS debayered?

Any help to any of this would really be appreciated.

Steve

Archived