Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Regarding binning of images

If I have collected say 2 hours of luminance in 10 min subs (12 subs) and wish to bin the colour, what settings am I aiming for, 2 hours of binned subs at 10mins or 3 subs at 10mins, or what?

What do you lot do for binned subs...assuming binning at 2x2 :)

It does depend on FL and the target. For instance, if the target really is an Ha object you are only looking for star colour so I wouldn't bin at all and would keep it short. On 'normal' LRGB objects I'd agree with Rob, though getting ever more reuctant to bin as the FL diminishes. I won't ever bin again below about 700mm.

Olly

I tried a binned Ha run in the 140/980 f7 refractor last month. The target was was M106 and I was after the Ha jets from the active core. The result was horrible and went straight in the bin! The stars were like bricks, the contrast curiously exaggerated and the increase in sensitivity dismally disappointing. A night wasted.

I'd be interested to see if others have fared better, though.

Olly

Archived