NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What are those funny lights?

geoff_k

About to head to bed last night and looked outside to a strange sight.

Stars and that planet with the rings, whatever its called.

Set everything up and took some snaps. No collimation or cooling down as there wasn't time. I was clouded out within the hour anyway.

This is one AVI of Saturn I have processed. About 2000 frames with my OO Europa 250mm, 4 x Imagemate Amplifier, Toucam Pro camera with IR filter.

Trouble is, it makes you realise how poor the winter weather has been for imaging (and viewing). Almost too late to make up for lost time on something like Saturn. No chance of catching it close to opposition as this was my first really clear night since the 3rd of February, but what can you do?

I don't reckon there have been ten clear nights down here since the clocks changed in October.

So this image could well be it for Saturn this time round (I hope not)

post-13129-133877326321_thumb.jpg

Ron, Kai and CC

I'm sure the skies will clear for all of you and there will be more chances.

Funnily enough, they are clear(ish) here again tonight, but there is a brisk wind blowing which is just the thing a large reflector with an open tube needs!

Lets hope the conditions improve for all of us.

Geoff

Archived