I'm thinking of getting some bino's help needed

hi I'm thinking of getting some bino's as I want to save some more money for my first scope can anybody give me some idea of what type to get don't want to spend to much on them as that will eat into my budget, thanks robbie c

Just get standard birdwatching ones. 8x42 seem the norm.

15x70 are nice but need a tripod.

10x50 again nice but heavier and what you see is no brighter.

Remember that what you spend now on binoculars will delay the time when you have the money for a scope.

Any charity shops around you? Have a look in and see what they may have in. Could get something decent for very little.

With binoculars you will not be seeing planets in anything called detail, they are just identifiable as small (very, very small) disks and not points as for stars. Best used for viewing the brighter clusters etc. They are more visible then by the unaided eye. Some double stars are seperable.

After much research I settled on a 10x50 porro prism.

Most observing guide recommends it, so charts and so on are written with this size.

Just get whatever your budget allows and get started!

There is a starter pack for £50 on one of the shops scope and skies I think.

Hi Robbie,

If you buy used bins, beware of 'mis-collimated' optics. If you feel your eyes cross a bit, or strain as you look through them - put them back!

One sure way to tell is to use them for several minutes, then take them away from your face. If you feel your eyes 'uncross' they are mis-collimated (the optical axis of the barrels actually point in slightly different directions).

Still, thrift store bargains can be wonderful and very light on the wallet.

Good luck,

Dan

Archived