SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

TV Dioptrx - good and bad EP's

Hello all,

since I've used my five 1.50 Televue Astigmatism Dioptrx on many eyepieces I've tested, I decided to share my experience with the SGL members that might need Dioptrx as I do.

One important thing: Tv does not mention other brands of EP's that are compatible with Dioptrx. So one had to find out at his own risk and expence.

There are, of course many other compatibilities and incompatibilities of the Dioptrx accessory, but I haven't ye got them on my list. Please feel free to add your experience to this thread. It will benefit us all. Thanks.

here goes:

I know it's not easy (Short Eye Relief ) to use Dioptrx with:

T6 Naglers

20mm T5 Nagler

21mm Ethos

It's very easy to use with:

TELEVUE

31mm Nagler,

26mm "

22mm "

17mm "

12mm "

6mm Ethos

8mm Ethos

10mm Ethos

13mm Ethos

55mm Televue Plossl

all the Panoptic Series

...and the best...ALL TV RADIANS

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC

9mm ES 100º

14mm ES 100º

BAADER PANETARIUM

The entire Hyperion Series, including the two "not so good" 31 and 36mm Aspherics.

MEADE 4000 SERIES

Meade 4000 55mm Plossl

Meade 4000 32mm SWA

Meade 4000 40mm SWA

Meade 4000 8,8mm UWA

Meade 4000 14mm UWA

They are more or less OK with:

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC

ES 82º Series from 6,7mm up. The 6,7mm needs the TV DEA 0001 adapter (for the 19mm Panoptic, 24mm Panoptic and 20mm Nagler T5)

They are not compatible (rim too big) with:

SCOPOS

TMB PARAGON

And of course they are not compatible (rim too small) with many smaller EP's, especially in the 1.25" size

There are also some MOD adpatations that can be done onto the fabulous Pentax XW series and the so-and-so Meade 5000 SWA and UWA Series (something to do with taking off the rubber hood/eyecup and placing the Dioptrx under the hood/eyecup and assembling the eyepiece with it under.)

cheers,

Paulo Mesquita

• 9 months later...

I use my sole Dioptrx with a Pentax XW30, and its as Paulo indicates, a simple case of unscrewing the top of the eye cup, laying the Dioptrx on top of the exposed lens, then screwing the eye cup back down, holding the Dioptrx in place. It works very well.

Archived