Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Mesu Mount

adamsp123

I agree. These mounts look very convincing. It isn't clear whether the price is inclusive of the Argo Navis or not but maybe I should give them a call. Interesting that they discard the direct drive idea using encoders on the RA shaft.

Olly

I agree. These mounts look very convincing. It isn't clear whether the price is inclusive of the Argo Navis or not but maybe I should give them a call. Interesting that they discard the direct drive idea using encoders on the RA shaft.

Olly

Not really - the feedback from the mount payload would be more accurate than attaching the encoder to the motor (ie the issues with PEC etc).

Not really - the feedback from the mount payload would be more accurate than attaching the encoder to the motor (ie the issues with PEC etc).

Sorry Nick, I'm not following you here. Poor old brain. Can you expand?

Olly

Sorry Nick, I'm not following you here. Poor old brain. Can you expand?

Olly

Maybe I misunderstood but by measuring the actual position of the scope (encoder on the mount) rather than the position of the motor spindle, you don't have to guess the deviation caused by the gear train.

Maybe I misunderstood but by measuring the actual position of the scope (encoder on the mount) rather than the position of the motor spindle, you don't have to guess the deviation caused by the gear train.

But there isn't a gear train...

Olly

But there isn't a gear train...

Olly

True, it's still possible for the friction to slip. Additionally the mount axis offers the largest diameter which allows better accuracy.

OK but I was really thinking about the friction drive in principle. I see that Gemini now offer this as well and it seems like an idea worth persuing. Also a no-flip mount; what a joy and wonder that would be!

Olly

I must admit a mesu type 1 mount, if it behaves as to spec would be a joy, but I could not fit it into my obsy and it is a lot of money.

The type 2 "standard" equatorial seems a good option, I contacted Robotics who now the dealers for his mounts say it is a 10-12 week delivery and getting longer.

If it so good why are there not more friction drive mounts out there?

Archived