Best eyepieces to use with Skywatcher 76 Heritage Dob

Hello everyone.

I'm fairly new to astronomy, I have puchased a Skywatcher 76 Heritage Dob before I buy a bigger scope. Can anyone suggest what are the best eyepieces to buy to get the best clear picture at the best magnification?

I know I'm probably asking a lot of this little scope, but I have just read that with the supplied eyepieces it's no better than looking with binoculars. The supplied pieces are 9mm & 25mm Celestron 1.25" but haven't had time to use it yet as it's being posted to me.

I am looking to buy the Skywatcher Explorer-130P SupaTrak quite soon, so it would be ideal if the eyepieces could fit into both?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

I have that little scope and the weakest link is actually the supplied e/ps. The stock 10 and 25 mm e/ps that come with bigger skywatcer/celestron scopes are a definite improvement and you can usually get them 2ndhand for about a tenner each as people dont tend to want them. If you want to spend a little more try the TMB clone planetary eyepices from somewhere like teleskope service (they're german) - thye also come up secondhand a lot and generally go for around 30-35 I guess. I have 5mm eyepice which gives a mag of about 60x which the little scope is quite capable of handling and you'll see a lot more than you will through binos.

good luck

First thing Dan...

Welcome to SGL ;)

For the ins 'n' outs of choosing EPs, you might find these posts : [thread=80772]"Eyepieces - the very least you need"[/thread] and [thread=63184]"Understanding and choosing eyepieces"[/thread] a help in guiding you through the basics.

HTH :o

I have the scope and it performs much better with good eyepieces. Having said that the Hyperion eyepieces I use are far more expensive than the scope! And the eyepieces are nearly as big as the scope!

I find the 17mm and 8mm gives a good view on clusters..

It can see about the same faintness of stars as my 80mm binos...

I managed about 15 galaxies through it if I recall at a recent star party in dark skies soo its good fun...

Mark

Mark

Archived