Advice wanted please new here.

Hi To all, i have just bought myself a skyhawk 1145p sysnscan goto from this shop: Kay Optical - Telescopes and Binoculars Sales, Servicing and Repairs for £199 , I believe it to be better than my skywatcher 130p, opinions please, i am very much a noob, so please not too technical.

Please be kind first post here, oh and hi to all.

Regards

Brommas

Hi Brommas, welcome to SGL.

I believe the 130p has a larger mirror size so is better at gathering light. Therefore it is able to see better astronomical objects.

What was the advice you get that made the new scope better?

Welcome to SGL :D

I your new scope has the "GOTO" system but has a smaller mirror than your current one.

Yoy might be able to put the 130P tube on the Synscan mount, then you have the best of both worlds :p

Like i say i am new to this, and not very savvy on the best starter equipment, all the reviews i looked at seemed to be good for the 1145, and if i am honest, i wanted to try a goto system(there i said it) thank you for the idea of changing mirrors, i will look further into this option.

I am happy with the 130, i researched a fair bit before i bought it, and i must say i have not been disappointed with it at all, i am thinking of selling the 130, but then again i may just have to keep it if the mirrors are interchangeable. I kind of dont want to part with my first scope, is that weird? lol.

Regards

.... I kind of dont want to part with my first scope, is that weird? lol....

Not weird at all - I've still got my 1st scope and I bought that 30 years ago :D

I think you will enjoy using both scopes and they should be able to "swap mounts" quite easily I would think.

If you have any problems with that or have any other questions at all, feel free to post them - we like questions on here :p

Many thanks for your help, you can be assured that I will certainly need some guidance. Also my thank's to both of you for responding to my question, and being so welcoming within your responses!.

Regards

I see, you are wanting to upgrade your mount to a goto system. Strangely buying the Synscan single arm mount with a scope is probably cheapest!

So yeah, just swap the 130p tube on the Synscan job done. It should handle it, as they do sell a 130p on the same mount.

Just to say that the 130P has a focal length (length of tube) of 650mm compared to the 500mm for the 114. The reason I mention this is because if you choose an object that is very high in the sky, the back of the tube might well connect with the mount. I always think that these mounts are great with a Maksutov or small Cassegrain but never quite sure about putting a longer newtonian on them for the above reason.

James

Archived