How wide is M45?

A quoted diameter of: ~2 deg, with the "...nine brightest members fitting in a 1 degree field".

"... a true diameter of seven light years... " etc. :p

I find the maximum possible field with a, 2" adapted, MAK127 (about 1.5 deg) just a tad *too* small to easily "see" (frame!) the small "dipper" shape. So one is looking at a 2+ deg field or 25x with a standard Plossl eyepiece? A focal length of 20mm (or more) in a fast (f=500mm) refractor (perhaps best for the job!). :D

Attempts to *extend* the MAK127 field with a reducer tend to give the impression of being a "drunk looking through a drinking straw"? LOL. One is practically limited to a 32mm Plossl and a ~ONE~ degree field. It is a "feature" of the MAK127 that one can use a 2" diagonal, plus WIDE field, 2", 32mm+ eyepiece, to get a few extra tenths of a degree field... upto ~1.5 degrees. But, as we are often (mostly fairly!) reminded, true wide fields are more EASILY achieved with a faster scope... typically a small refractor. :D

It's hard to beat big bins for these stars, really, though our 980mm FL refractor gives a stunning close up with pinpoint stars in a 26 Nagler. It's nice to have a bit of space around them though.

Olly

I agree in my 15 x 70's M45 is great but recently seeing it in my 4.75" refractor it blew me away. The reason behind the post was to see if I can get the same effect in my 8" reflector but due to exit pupil I needed to keep the FOV tight but not so tight that I cannot frame it. If any of that makes sense ?

Archived