NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help needed on SynScan G0-TO AZ Handset

Good evening gentle folks, I am new to this site and wish to say what a great find it was. This is just what I was Looking for. My first question for you is to my being in the market for a Sky-watcher Skyliner-200P FlexTube SynScan GO-TO Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope after many years of sky watching with a Tal 90mm. This has been my dream scope for a very long time now and I cant wait to seeing with it. I was wondering about the SynScan Go-to AZ computerised Handset system. I am unfamiliar with this kind of equipment (opting for the traditional spot, find and manual adjust system) Does anyone have any knowledge of this go-to system and will it connect to my PC. Are they as good as the manufacturer says because I cannot find any reviews on-line. I have read Orion_the_hunters fantastic review of his 8" Dob and although there are differences in scope design the essentials will be very much the same ( I think) And like Orion_the_hunter, I have some disabilities but nothing that cant be overcome. A go-to telescope sounds just right for my needs but I really want to know more about them before I buy. Please can you enlighten me...

Yes the SW SynScan goto units can be controlled from a PC. There are two ways to do this, through the handset, or by using an open source application called EQMOD which allows connection straight to the SynScan unit. I'm just delving into the EQMOD so it's a little complicated for me to explain how that works, but using the hand controller it's very simple to use, and with a DOB I think it's a simple case of entering date and time, then aligning on a few stars and that's it !

Personally I like the goto option and use it as an aid to show me where things are in the night sky, and identify named stars.

hi there

i have a 300p flex auto with the goto handset, works well and can be connected to a PC (although i haven`t tried as yet). i would say that the goto isnt as accurate as a EQ mount but the dob is very easy to live with setup is very quick and mines on wheels which makes things easy on the arms. you do have to colminate every time but i still get ok results when i havent bothered.

if your in to the getting in to the deep sky stuff i would suggest getting a samsung sdc-435, allows you to see the fuzzy stuff in colour live and M42 looks really good. the camera increases what you can see generally without getting a huge scope.

would also suggest looking at the 250px auto and getting a 1145p goto and using the handset.

have a look at this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/128557-skyliner-250-flextube-auto-goto-how.html

hate suggest spending more money but you dont want to buy something that you then want to replace later, which was my dilema. i bought the 300p but the 250px seems a little cheaper.

hope this helps and doesnt confuse the issues

Yes the SynScan goto can be controlled from a PC and works very well, but u have to go wireless to stop cables wrapping around the base. I don't find i need to colimmnate every time like Trident says but then i don't disassemble just roll out and align with 2 stars(very quick setup).

Archived